Corrosion Fundamentals for Engineers and Inspectors
Although corrosion is regarded as nature’s way of converting a refined metal to a more stable form, its impact on the economy has been significantly devastating in many industries. Studies in the United States alone has estimated total annual economic impact of corrosion on the US economy to be in hundreds of billions in direct costs. More importantly, corrosion have been the cause of many infrastructure and industrial incidents leading to injuries and loss of lives. As such, it is important to understand the fundamentals, mechanisms and potential consequences of corrosion.
This 2-day interactive training provides general concepts of recognizing corrosion problems, establishing causes of corrosion and selection of corrosion control methods through understanding of the principles of corrosion mechanisms and its consequences. Some actual case histories of corrosion related failures will also be presented and studied to help participants gain practical knowledge on the application of these principles.
The training provides participants with:
- Introduction to corrosion terminology and basic concepts.
- Knowledge of the classification of different types of corrosion mechanisms.
- Knowledge on methods to detect and monitor corrosion degradation so as to mitigate or prevent any significant consequences or failures from occurring.
- Theoretical and practical knowledge through case studies.
19 – 20 September 2023
09:00 – 17:00 (GMT+8) Singapore
- Introduction and Course Objectives
- Basic Concepts of Metallurgy
- Principles and Mechanisms of Corrosions
- Types of Corrosion
- Types of Corrosion (cont’d)
- Methods to Detect and Control Corrosion
- Diagnosis of Corrosion Problems
Who should attend:
The course is designed for Engineers, Consultants, Inspectors, Maintenance, Process and Production Operators; covering major industries such as Oil and Gas, Offshore/Marine, Building and Construction, Manufacturing and Aerospace. It is especially beneficial for participants who are non-materials related professionals wanting to better understand the basic concepts of corrosion engineering and some of the practical applications of corrosion technology to solve industrial corrosion problems.
This course will be conducted by LIAM Kok Chye and Judy Goh
LIAM KOK CHYE
Mechanical Engineer (PE) – Integration of mechanical engineering and materials/corrosion expertise for condition assessment and forensic engineering work. Expert Engineer. (IES Engineering Expert Panel – Forensic Engineering and Materials/Corrosion) Specialist Professional Engineer in Lifting Equipment and Cranes (PEB). Who’s Who in Engineering (Singapore), Snr. Member of IES and NACE
He has more than 30 years of consulting experience in failure analysis, forensic engineering and condition assessment for a wide spectrum of industries such as oil and gas, chemical, pharmaceutical, construction, aerospace, marine and offshore. He has also served as an expert witness for many litigation and insurance cases. Through his many years of materials and corrosion consultancy work, he is able to provide actual case studies to elaborate on the various concepts and mechanisms of corrosion in a practical manner.
Areas of Expertises
- Failure analysis of mechanical equipment/components and structural facilities
- Condition and remnant life assessment of high temperature equipment/plants, lifting equipment and structural facilities
- Forensic engineering investigation of industrial incidents
- Materials and corrosion consultancy
- Expert witness for insurance industry and litigation
- Materials/corrosion consultant in DNV – 5 years
- Engineer consultant and director in Matcor – 27 years
- Principal consultant in Matcor (now a Cetim company) – current
- Bachelor in Engineering (Mechanical, Hons), 1986
- Master of Engineering, 1990
Graduated in Material Science and Engineering, she has been an engineer and a consultant for 10 years within Matcor. She has performed numerous cases in the failure analysis and forensic investigation for system and component failures for various industries.
Judy is one of the leads to perform the remnant life assessment and risk based inspection assessment for pressure vessels and piping for service life extension purpose. She also has experience as an expert consultant for litigation and insurance claims and loss adjusting cases.
Areas of Expertises
- Failure Analysis
- Remnant Life Assessment
- Fitness for Service Assessment
- Risk Based Inspection (RBI) Assessment
- API Inspection
- Matcor (2009 – Today) : Consultant
- Bachelor Degree – NUS – Material Science and Engineering – 2009
- API 510 Pressure Vessel Inspection Certification – 2014, 2020
- API 581 Risk Based Inspection Certification – 2016
MTS02 Corrosion Fundamentals for Engineers and Inspectors
19 – 20 September 2023
09:00 – 17:00 (GMT +8) Singapore
5 September 2023, Tuesday
3 Seletar Aerospace Link, Singapore 797550
SGD 1,600.00 (exclude GST)
Registration must reach us on or before 22 March 2023, Wednesday:
SGD 1,440.00 (exclude GST)
We welcome groups to attend our trainings. Please contact us for a group discount package.
Our Accounts will advise if GST is applicable. Participants shall bear all bank charges.
Learners must fulfill at least 75% attendance and pass all assessment components, to be awarded with a Certificate of Attendance (COA).
To register for the course, please complete this form.
- Registration form and course fees are to reach MATCOR before the closing date.
- Registration will only be confirmed upon full payment.
- Direct internet banking payment to MATCOR Technology & Services Pte Ltd, Bank: Development Bank of Singapore, Bank Code: 7171, Branch Code: 032, Swift Code: DBSSSGSG, Bank Address: 1 Kim Seng Promenade, #02-32, Great World City, Singapore 237994, Account / Iban No: 032-004152-3. / PAYNOW: UEN199201190R
- All cheques should be made payable to “MATCOR Technology & Services Pte Ltd” and mailed to 3 Seletar Aerospace Link Singapore 797550, Or
- Overseas participants may choose to pay in EUR or USD.
- Participants shall bear all bank charges for payments.
For clarification or inquiries please contact Mrs Lorraine HUANG or Joshua LEE at +65 67788285 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Cancellation & Refund:
- Any cancellation made after closing date – no refund, but delegate substitution is allowed.
- Any cancellation made before closing date will receive full refund.
- MATCOR reserves the right to cancel or reschedule the course, only if deemed necessary