Vibration Studies & Its Measurement & Control
Mechanical vibration refers to the oscillating motion of an object about a reference position. It is a result of dynamic forces in machines which have moving parts. Vibration disturbances occurred in machines and intricate electronic equipment, if left unattended, will increase product’s’ downtime, increase manufacturer’s maintenance and warranty costs and reduce user satisfaction. It is an important task for product designers as well as equipment manufacturers to understand and control the unwanted vibration occurs in these machines.
This two-day technical course provides participants a better understanding of vibration phenomenon, vibration isolation theory and practical considerations, vibration measurement and signal processing. It aims to assist practicing engineers in resolving their maintenance or design issues arising from the vibration of machines.
At the end of the course, participants will have a better understanding on:
- mechanical vibration and its underlying theory
- vibration isolation methodology and its practical considerations
- how to set up a vibration measurement system, and
- the essentials of digital signal processing or frequency domain analysis.
1st & 2nd December 2021
09:00 – 17:00 (GMT+8) Singapore
Participants should have a technical or bachelor’s degree in engineering or its equivalent.
Teaching method alternating theory and practice through case studies or works directed.
Who should attend:
Practicing engineers, product designers, test engineers and managers who are involved in the design and/or maintenance of mechanical structures, automotive products, and rotating machinery. Participants having a technical or bachelor’s degree in engineering or its equivalent is presumed in order to fully appreciate this course.
- Vibration phenomenon
- Quantifying Vibration Levels
- Vibration Sources
- Effects of Vibration
Vibration Theory and Mathematical Models
- Simple Harmonic Motion
- Single Degree Of Freedom (SDOF) Free Vibration
- SDOF Damped Free Vibration
- SDOF Damped Forced Vibration
- Two Degrees of Freedom Model
Vibration Isolation and Practical Considerations
- Vibration Isolation Basic Theory
- Isolator Properties
- Effect of Damping
- Case Study: Selection of Isolator for Vibration Control
- Limitations of Theory and Practical Consideration
- Other Vibration Control Techniques
Vibration Measurement I – Sensors & Preamplifier
- Vibration Measurement System
- Vibration Transducers and Practical Consideration
- Tips for Vibration Measurement Set-up
Vibration Measurement II – Spectral Analysis
- Time and Frequency Domain Signals
- Analog Filter
- Digital Signal Processing
- Digitization Errors and their Mitigations
Vibration Measurement III – Industrial Applications
- Machinery Condition Monitoring
- Structural Dynamics Analysis – Modal Tests
- Vibration and Shock Testing
- Human Response to Vibration
This course will be conducted by Dr KOH Yong Khiang.
Dr KOH Yong Khiang
Dr Koh is a veteran and specialist in structural dynamics and vibration control of mechanical systems. He has more than 30 years of practical experience in structural design, dynamic & fatigue analysis, test and evaluation, spectral analysis, noise, vibration and shock reduction measures.
Areas of Expertise
- Structural design and dynamic analysis via FEM techniques
- Noise, vibration & shock analysis and reduction measures
- Test & evaluation and vibration spectral analysis
- Structural failure investigation and fatigue analysis
- Design risk mitigation based on Design Failure Modes and Effects Analysis (D-FMEA)
- STELS (1994-2009) Principal Engr, Snr Principal Engr & HODs
- STELS (2010-2015) Chief Engineer & Head, Test & Reliability
- STELS (2016-2021) Chief Engineer, Engineering Analysis
- BEng (Hons) Mechanical Engineering, NUS (1981)
- MSc in Sound and Vibration Studies, ISVR (1989).
- PhD in Vibration Studies and Control, ISVR, University of Southampton, UK (1993)
MTS18 Vibration Studies & Its Measurement & Control
1st & 2nd December, 9am-5pm (2 days)
09:00 – 17:00 (GMT +8) Singapore
17th November 2021, Wednesday.
SGD 1,600.00 (exclude GST)
Registration must reach us on or before 11th October, Monday
SGD 1,440.00 (exclude GST)
We welcome groups to attend our trainings. Please contact us for a group discount package.
Our Accounts will advise if GST is applicable. Participants shall bear all bank charges.
Learners must fulfill at least 75% attendance and pass all assessment components, to be awarded with a Certificate of Attendance (COA).
To register for the course, please complete this form.
- Registration form and course fees are to reach MATCOR before the closing date.
- Registration will only be confirmed upon full payment.
- Direct internet banking payment to MATCOR Technology & Services Pte Ltd, Bank: Development Bank of Singapore, Bank Code: 7171, Branch Code: 032, Swift Code: DBSSSGSG, Bank Address: 1 Kim Seng Promenade, #02-32, Great World City, Singapore 237994, Account / Iban No: 032-004152-3. / PAYNOW: UEN199201190R
- All cheques should be made payable to “MATCOR Technology & Services Pte Ltd” and mailed to 3 Seletar Aerospace Link Singapore 797550, Or
- Overseas participants may choose to pay in EUR or USD.
- Participants shall bear all bank charges for payments.
For clarification or inquiries please contact Ms. Pei Shyan NG or Ms. Irene LIM at +65 67788285 or send an email to email@example.com
Cancellation & Refund:
- Any cancellation made after closing date – no refund, but delegate substitution is allowed.
- Any cancellation made before closing date will receive full refund.
- MATCOR reserves the right to cancel or reschedule the course, only if deemed necessary