NTU Trainings - Classroom
Rolling Bearings, Damage and Failure recognition. Introduction to the new ISO 15243
A vision into the appearance and fundamental causes of rolling bearings failure modes. This training provides bearings users with the necessary skills to examine, assess and recognize common bearing failure modes.
Upon completion of the training, the attendants will be able to carry out the following:
- Understating normal and abnormal wear patterns of bearings.
- Recognition of bearing failure caused by misalignment, unbalance, incorrect bearing applications, incorrect installation
- Understanding why and how bearings fail in operation.
6th December 2023
PRE - REQUISITES
No specific gear knowledge is required
The teaching method alternates theory and practise through case studies or works directed.
Who Should Attend
Maintenance, Machine Repair, or Plant/Facility Engineering staff. Rotating Equipment Engineers. Largely, those interested in rolling bearing and rotating equipment performance.
- ISO Standards
- Key principles in ISO Standards
- Members (how to get involved), Technical Committees and Working Groups
- The different type of ISO publications
- Bearings – General considerations
- Overview and Vocabulary
- Main types of bearings
- Types of bearing cages
- Protection and Sealing
- Bearings assembly and Lubrication
- Bearings – Typical deteriorations
- Terms and definitions – ISO 15243
- Classification of failure modes in rolling bearings
- Failure modes:
- Rolling contact fatigue
- Electrical erosion
- Plastic deformation
- Cracking and fracture
- Case studies (a chance to test your failure recognition skills)
- Questions / answers.
This course will be conducted by Robert SHANDRO.
Principal Consultant with CETIM - MATCOR in the field of mechanical, power transmissions and materials engineering. A Specialist in failure investigation, forensic engineering and condition assessment with more than 30 years of consulting experience in Energy, Aerospace, Transportation, Shipbuilding and Public Works. Involved in close to 2,500 failure analysis and consulting services for litigation.
Member of French delegation for ISO TC60 (Technical Committee), Expert in load capacity calculation of gears, terminologies, notation, strength and quality of materials for gears.
Member of IES (Institute of Engineers Singapore).
Areas of Expertise
- Failure analysis of a wide range of mechanical equipment/components and structural facilities
- Design, verification and failure analysis on mechanical power transmission components
- Condition and remnant life assessment of mechanical power transmission components
- Expert witness for litigation and insurance claims
- Expert consultant and technical support on patent litigations
- Standardization works (ISO TC60)
- 5 years as Design Engineer (electric motors and generators)
- 12 years as Technical Advisor (Judicial Expertise)
- 13 years as Project Manager at CETIM
- From year 2019 – Principal Consultant at MATCOR
- Master of Engineering (MEng) UPT 1986
- Master in Materials Science (MSc) ISMCM 1992