Failure Analysis of Shafts, Gears and Bearings
Understand the causes of failures of power transmission components (shaft, gears and bearings) to better avoid them. Implement appropriate corrective actions using a structured failure analysis approach
Upon completion of the training, the attendants will be able to carry out the following:
- Identify the different aspects of the incriminated parts and the causes of the failures
- Interpret the damage in areas affected by equipment failure
- Implement the damage analysis and the appropriate corrective actions
- To exchange with experts in the field
27th to 29th September 2022
PRE - REQUISITES
To have notions of metallurgy, mechanics and kinematics of the gears.
Teaching method alternating theory and practice through case studies or works directed.
- Practice of failure analysis:
- Failure analysis methodology,
- Precautions before analysis,
- Laboratory analysis techniques.
- Morphological analysis of fractures:
- Fractures and their characteristics;
- The morphological analysis of fractures.
- Shafts failure analysis:
- The main solicitations,
- Typical shaft’s rupture,
- Failure due to surface deterioration.
- Failure Analysis on Power Transmission:
- Generalities on transmissions,
- Analysis of lubricants in use.
- Practice of gear damage analysis:
- General considerations;
- Main aspects of the gear teeth in service.
- Practice of bearing damage analysis:
- General considerations;
- Typical deteriorations.
- Real case studies of damage
- Questions / answers
Who Should Attend
Engineers, technicians and more generally anyone facing damage problems in gearboxes and gear sets.
This course will be conductedby Mr.Robert SHANDRO,Technical expert in the field, involved in consultingmissions and technical assistance.He will be assistedby engineer Mr. Ashley Ng.
Principal Consultant with CETIM - MATCOR in the field of mechanical, power transmissions and materials engineering. A Specialist in failure investigation, forensic engineering and condition assessment with more than 30 years of consulting experience in Energy, Aerospace, Transportation, Shipbuilding and Public Works. Involved in close to 2,500 failure analysis and consulting services for litigation. Member of French delegation for ISO TC60 (Technical Committee), Expert in load capacity calculation of gears, terminologies, notation, strength and quality of materials for gears.
Areas of Expertise
- Failure analysis of a wide range of mechanical equipment/components and structural facilities
- Design, verification and failure analysis on mechanical power transmission components
- Condition and remnant life assessment of mechanical power transmission components
- Expert witness for litigation and insurance claims
- Expert consultant and technical support on patent litigations
- Standardization works (ISO TC60)
- 5 years as Design Engineer (electric motors and generators)
- 12 years as Technical Advisor (Judicial Expertise)
- 13 years as Project Manager at CETIM
- From year 2019 – Principal Consultant at MATCOR
- Master of Engineering (MEng) UPT 1986
- Master in Materials Science (MSc) ISMCM 1992