Gears -Definition, Manufacturing, Control and Implementation
Discover the key elements needed to achieve quality gears and be more efficient in your discussions with experts
Upon completion of the training, the attendants will be able to carry out the following:
- Consult a definition plan, a range of manufacture, a report of and extracting the useful elements;
- Understand and follow the whole process of making a gear, design at the reception;
- Identify the theoretical and practical elements that are essential for producing quality gears and guarantee their service life.
Who should attend?
Technicians in the methods, control, quality and manufacturing departments, but also all those (project managers, sales engineers, buyers and who want to know about gears and their implementation work.
PRE - REQUISITES
Teaching method alternating theory and practice through case studies or works directed.
- Basic concepts on the geometry of gears to “Teeth in involute”
- Spur and helical gears;
- Meshing (driving report, interference, slip);
- Tooth corrections (profile and helix corrections);
- Resistance to contact pressure and breakage, service life.
- The principles of manufacture of cylindrical gears (for each machining process, presentation of machines and tools):
- Gear cutting processes (hob, pinion);
- Finishing processes of teeth (grinding, shaving, honing);
- Other machining processes.
- Principles of tolerance and control of cylindrical gears:
- Control of teeth in manufacture;
- Metrological control of the teeth;
- Case study: reading of plans and exploitation of measurements.
- Concepts on the implementation of cylindrical gears:
- Operating clearance;
- Lubrication and evacuation of calories;
- Behaviour and the degradation of the teeth in use;
- Notions of maintenance linked to the monitoring of gearboxes (noise, vibrations
- Examples of gear assemblies (gearboxes with parallel trains, planetary transmissions …).
- Presentation of other types of gears.
This course will be conducted by Mr.Robert SHANDRO, Gear Failure Analysis Expert
Principal Consultant with CETIM - MATCOR in the field of mechanical, power transmissions and materials engineering. A Specialist in failure investigation, forensic engineering and condition assessment with more than 30 years of consulting experience in Energy, Aerospace, Transportation, Shipbuilding and Public Works. Involved in close to 2,500 failure analysis and consulting services for litigation. Member of French delegation for ISO TC60 (Technical Committee), Expert in load capacity calculation of gears, terminologies, notation, strength and quality of materials for gears.
Areas of Expertise
- Failure analysis of a wide range of mechanical equipment/components and structural facilities
- Design, verification and failure analysis on mechanical power transmission components
- Condition and remnant life assessment of mechanical power transmission components
- Expert witness for litigation and insurance claims
- Expert consultant and technical support on patent litigations
- Standardization works (ISO TC60)
- 5 years as Design Engineer (electric motors and generators)
- 12 years as Technical Advisor (Judicial Expertise)
- 13 years as Project Manager at CETIM
- From year 2019 – Principal Consultant at MATCOR
- Master of Engineering (MEng) UPT 1986
- Master in Materials Science (MSc) ISMCM 1992