Gears Failures and Tribology of Gears
Understand gear failures and tribology of gears to avoid disruptions to operations. Implement appropriate corrective actions using a structured failure analysis approach.
Upon completion of the training, the attendants will be able to carry out the following:
- Understand the tribological aspects of in-service gear drives
- Explain the mechanisms of damage and identify the causes of the failures
- Propose appropriate corrective actions
- To exchange with experts in the field
11th – 12th April 2023
PRE - REQUISITES
To have notions of metallurgy, mechanics and kinematics of the gears.
Teaching method alternating theory and practice through case studies or works directed.
Gear drives –Overview:
- Type of gear transmissions
- Kinematic meshingo
- Manufacturing processes
- Materials and heat treatments
Tribology for gear applications:
- Basic notions of tribology
- Lubrication and lubricants
- Operation of parallel axes gears
- Tribology of gearmesh
- Lubrication for gear transmissions
Main failures of gears in service:
- Phenomena affecting the surface of the teeth
- Aspects of the teeth due to permanent deformations
- Aspects of the teeth after fracture
- Case studies
Calculation of cylindrical teeth (information)
Monitoring of gears
- Overview of the test methods and means
- Monitoring of in-service reducers and gear assemblies
- Monitoring of gear assemblies: lubricant analysis
- Review daily assessment (oral)
- Final assessment questionnaire
Who should attend?
Engineers, technicians and more generally anyone facing damage problems in gearboxes and gear sets.
About the Trainer
This course will be conducted by Robert SHANDRO.
Principal Consultant with CETIM - MATCOR in the field of mechanical, power transmissions and materials engineering. A Specialist in failure investigation, forensic engineering and condition assessment with more than 30 years of consulting experience in Energy, Aerospace, Transportation, Shipbuilding and Public Works. Involved in close to 2,500 failure analysis and consulting services for litigation.
Member of French delegation for ISO TC60 (Technical Committee), Expert in load capacity calculation of gears, terminologies, notation, strength and quality of materials for gears.
Member of IES (Institute of Engineers Singapore).
Areas of Expertise
- Failure analysis of a wide range of mechanical equipment/components and structural facilities
- Design, verification and failure analysis on mechanical power transmission components
- Condition and remnant life assessment of mechanical power transmission components
- Expert witness for litigation and insurance claims
- Expert consultant and technical support on patent litigations
- Standardization works (ISO TC60)
- 5 years as Design Engineer (electric motors and generators)
- 12 years as Technical Advisor (Judicial Expertise)
- 13 years as Project Manager at CETIM
- From year 2019 – Principal Consultant at MATCOR
- Master of Engineering (MEng) UPT 1986
- Master in Materials Science (MSc) ISMCM 1992