Failure Analysis and Forensic Investigation
Failure of components or sometimes the entire structure often pose significant impact and threats to safety, economic and even to environmental issues. A detailed understanding and analysis of the causes is usually deemed as basic requirement in order to prevent similar failures from recurring in the future.
This 2-day interactive training provides some of the fundamentals and practical approach of forensic investigation, the various modes and causes of failures to better understand the macro and micro aspects of engineering components. Some actual case histories of failures will also be presented and studied to help participants gain practical knowledge on the application of these principles.
The training provides participants with:
- Forensic knowledge and skills used in failure investigation
- An abridgement of techniques used as aids in forensic investigation
- Collated experience from past failure cases from various industries and components
14th & 15th December 2021
08:30 – 17:30 (GMT+8) Singapore
- Introduction to Forensic Engineering Investigation
- Material properties and basic concepts in metallurgy
- Failure and damage mechanisms (Part 1)
- Analytical techniques used (for Laboratory)
- Analytical techniques used (for Site)
- Revision of essential points from Day 1
- Failure and damage mechanisms – (Part 2 continued from Day 1)
- Case studies: focus on different industries and mechanical related, such as metals, components, structural damage, power transmission etc. and identify interesting cases to illustrate. We will also Include comprehensive library of photos illustration to differentiate between different types of failure.
- Exercise and discussion.
Who should attend:
The course is designed for various disciplines that includes Engineers, Consultants, Inspectors, Safety, Maintenance, Process and Operators; covering major industries not limited to Oil and Gas, Marine, Building and Construction, Manufacturing and Aerospace. It is especially beneficial for participants who are new to these concepts, non-metallurgist or non-engineering related professionals who wants to better understand the application of forensic engineering for cases such as litigation and insurance purposes.
About the Trainers
This course will be carried out by Ms. Samira ABDESSLAM, a Structural Analysis expert and a French representative in the European Crane Design Standards Committee.
Jennifer Lim, Huei Ling
Jennifer is a Senior Consultant with Cetim-Matcor Technology & Services Pte Ltd in the field of mechanical, materials and corrosion engineering pertaining to forensic engineering, failure investigation and condition assessment.
She has over twelve (12) years of consulting experience in the oil and gas, petrochemicals, marine, manufacturing, utilities, building, pressure vessels, lifting equipment and aerospace industries and engaged in failure investigation and condition assessment cases both locally and internationally.
Areas of Expertises
Materials, Corrosion, Mechanical, Machinery and Structural Failures
- Condition, metallurgical and life assessment
- Failure investigation
- Expert witness for litigation and insurance claims and loss adjusting cases
- Non-destructive evaluation, remote visual inspection
- Third party inspection and quality assurance
- Forensic Engineering Assessment of a Collapsed New Highway Viaduct
- Forensic Engineering Assessment of an Explosion And Fire Incident In Gas Bottling and Storage Facility
- Assessment of Storage Tank Bottom and Annular Plates – in Fujairah
- Fatigue Design 2019 (in Senlis) – Organized by CETIM – Forensic Engineering Investigation of Fatigue Failures in Machinery
- Trainer at Petronas Carigali Sdn Bhd on “Introduction to Forensic Engineering” in May 2016
- Aerospace Technology Seminar 2015 – Organized by the Air Engineering and Logistics Department (AELD), Republic of Singapore Air Force (RSAF)
Matcor Technology & Services Pte Ltd (2008 – Present):
Education / Certification :
- Bachelor of Engineering (Materials Engineering) Degree, 2008 – Nanyang Technological University
- API-570 Piping Inspector, 2014
Mechanical Engineer - Materials & Construction. Specialized in mechanical power transmission components. A Specialist in Failure Analysis, Consulting and Technical Assistance in industries including Aerospace, Energy, Transportation, Shipbuilding and Public Works. Member of French delegation for ISO TC60 (Technical Committee) "Gears".
An expert in capacity calculation of gears, terminologies, notation, strength and quality of materials for gears.
Areas of Expertises
- Global assessment on fixed and turning parts of mechanical systems
- Failure analysis on power transmission components
- Expert witness for litigation and insurance claims
- Design and dimensioning assistance
- Training on failure analysis
- Standardization works.
- CGG : From failure analysis to power transmission design (gearboxes of a scientific research vessel)
- SAFRAN : Global assessment on AGB (Accessory Gear-Box), TGB (Transfer Gear-Box) and RDS (Radial Shaft)
- EDF-EN : Failure analysis on blade bearings and gearbox of wind turbine
- NEXTER: Power transmission failure analysis and tests of an armoured vehicle
- DEGREMONT: Assessment and rehabilitation of a pumping station
- 5 years as Design Engineer (electric motors and generators)
- 12 years as Technical Advisor (Judicial Expertise)
- 13 years as Project Manager at CETIM
- From year 2019-Principal Consultant at MATCOR
Engineer-Mechanics of Structures (UPT 1986)
Engineer-Materials (ISMCM 1992)
MTS01 Failure Analysis and Forensic Investigation
14th & 15th December 2021
08:30 – 17:30 (GMT +8) Singapore
3 Seletar Aerospace Link, Singapore 797550
Registration must reach us on or before 15th November, Monday
SGD 1,080.00 (exclude GST)
With minimum 3 participants from the same company.
SGD 1,080.00 per person (exclude GST)
Our Accounts will advise if GST is applicable. Participants shall bear all bank charges.
To register for the course, please complete this form.
- Registration form and course fees are to reach MATCOR before the closing date.
- Registration will only be confirmed upon full payment.
- Direct internet banking payment to MATCOR Technology & Services Pte Ltd, Bank: Development Bank of Singapore, Bank Code: 7171, Branch Code: 032, Swift Code: DBSSSGSG, Bank Address: 1 Kim Seng Promenade, #02-32, Great World City, Singapore 237994, Account / Iban No: 032-004152-3. / PAYNOW: UEN199201190R
- All cheques should be made payable to “MATCOR Technology & Services Pte Ltd” and mailed to 3 Seletar Aerospace Link Singapore 797550, Or
- Overseas participants may choose to pay in EUR or USD.
- Participants shall bear all bank charges for payments.
For clarification or inquiries please contact Ms. Pei Shyan NG or Ms. Irene LIM at +65 67788285 or send an email to email@example.com
Cancellation & Refund:
- Any cancellation made after closing date – no refund, but delegate substitution is allowed.
- Any cancellation made before closing date will receive full refund.
- MATCOR reserves the right to cancel or reschedule the course, only if deemed necessary