Introduction to Vibration Study and Its Effects
Mechanical or structure vibration occurs everywhere, be it in our homes, at work or during transportation. Vibration is often a destructive and annoying side effect of a useful process or intended operation. It causes wear and fatigue and is often responsible for the ultimate breakdown of the machine.
This introductory course on vibration study provides participants a better understanding of vibration phenomenon; the sources of vibration and their detrimental effects; and the general vibration reduction measures. It aims to raise awareness of the participants on early treatment of the impending vibration issues.
At the end of the course, participants will have a better understanding on
- mechanical vibration phenomenon
- various sources of vibration & their effects, and
- the different types of vibration control techniques
10th November 2021
09:00 – 17:00 (GMT+8) Singapore
Teaching method alternating theory and practice through case studies or works directed.
Who should attend:
Practicing engineers and managers involved in the design and/or maintenance of automotive products or rotating machinery who want to have a better understanding on vibration sources and the general vibration control measures. Participants with relevant working experience, though not mandatory, will have advantage in appreciating this course.
- Introduction of Vibration Phenomenon
- Basics of Vibration Study
- Simple Harmonic Motion
- Measures of Vibration Signals
- Types of Vibration Signals
- Frequency of Vibration Signals
- About Structure Resonance
- Sources of Vibration
- Machinery Vibration
- Rotational Machinery
- Reciprocating Machinery
- Impact and Shock Induced Vibration
- Earth and Building Motions
- Land Transportation
- Road Vehicles
- Rail Vehicles
- Tracked Vehicles
- Surface Ships
- Machinery Vibration
- The Effects of Vibration
- Equipment Performance & its Reliability
- Structure Response
- Acoustic Noise Generation
- Human Response & Ride Comfort
- General Vibration Control Measures
- Reduce Dynamic Excitation
- Increase Structural Rigidity
- Detune Resonant Frequencies
- Decouple Vibration
- Isolate Vibration
- Absorb Vibration
- Damp Structural Resonances
This course will be conducted by Dr KOH Yong Khiang.
Dr KOH Yong Khiang
Dr Koh is a veteran and specialist in structural dynamics and vibration control of mechanical systems. He has more than 30 years of practical experience in structural design, dynamic & fatigue analysis, test and evaluation, spectral analysis, noise, vibration and shock reduction measures.
Areas of Expertise
- Structural design and dynamic analysis via FEM techniques
- Noise, vibration & shock analysis and reduction measures
- Test & evaluation and vibration spectral analysis
- Structural failure investigation and fatigue analysis
- Design risk mitigation based on Design Failure Modes and Effects Analysis (D-FMEA)
- STELS (1994-2009) Principal Engr, Snr Principal Engr & HODs
- STELS (2010-2015) Chief Engineer & Head, Test & Reliability
- STELS (2016-2021) Chief Engineer, Engineering Analysis
- BEng (Hons) Mechanical Engineering, NUS (1981)
- MSc in Sound and Vibration Studies, ISVR (1989).
- PhD in Vibration Studies and Control, ISVR, University of Southampton, UK (1993)
MTS17 Introduction to Vibration Study and Its Effects
10th November 2021
09:00 – 17:00 (GMT +8) Singapore
26th October 2021, Tuesday.
SGD 800 (exclude GST)
Registration must reach us on or before 11th October, Monday
SGD 720 (exclude GST)
We welcome groups to attend our trainings. Please contact us for a group discount package.
Our Accounts will advise if GST is applicable. Participants shall bear all bank charges.
To register for the course, please complete this form.
- Registration form and course fees are to reach MATCOR before the closing date.
- Registration will only be confirmed upon full payment.
- Direct internet banking payment to MATCOR Technology & Services Pte Ltd, Bank: Development Bank of Singapore, Bank Code: 7171, Branch Code: 032, Swift Code: DBSSSGSG, Bank Address: 1 Kim Seng Promenade, #02-32, Great World City, Singapore 237994, Account / Iban No: 032-004152-3. / PAYNOW: UEN199201190R
- All cheques should be made payable to “MATCOR Technology & Services Pte Ltd” and mailed to 3 Seletar Aerospace Link Singapore 797550, Or
- Overseas participants may choose to pay in EUR or USD.
- Participants shall bear all bank charges for payments.
For clarification or inquiries please contact Ms. Pei Shyan NG or Ms. Irene LIM at +65 67788285 or send an email to email@example.com
Cancellation & Refund:
- Any cancellation made after closing date – no refund, but delegate substitution is allowed.
- Any cancellation made before closing date will receive full refund.
- MATCOR reserves the right to cancel or reschedule the course, only if deemed necessary